Skip to Main Content
Contact Us Search

The California Victim Compensation Program

The California Victim Compensation Program (CalVCP) can help pay bills and expenses that result from certain violent crimes. Victims of crime who have been injured or have been threatened with injury may be eligible for help.

CalVCP Helpline: 1-800-777-9229 (phone) | 1-866-902-8669 (fax)

For victim assistance in your area, find your local Victim Witness Assistance Center.

Esta página en Español »

Who Qualifies for Victim Compensation?

CalVCP can help victims of crimes such as:

  • Domestic Violence
  • Child Abuse
  • Assault
  • Sexual Assault
  • Elder Abuse
  • Homicide
  • Robbery
  • Drunk Driving
  • Vehicular Manslaughter
  • Hate Crimes

Minors who suffer emotional injuries as a result of witnessing a violent crime may be eligible for up to $5,000 for mental health counseling through CalVCP.

CalVCP can help victims of crimes that occur in California as well as California residents who become victims while visiting other states or outside the country.

Additionally, people who suffer a monetary loss because of death or injury to a crime victim may also be eligible for compensation. These victims can include:

  • Spouses or Domestic Partners
  • Children
  • Parents
  • Legal Guardians
  • Brothers
  • Sisters
  • Grandparents
  • Grandchildren

To learn more, see our Eligibility page.

What Expenses Can CalVCP Help Pay?

CalVCP may help pay for expenses related to a crime such as:

  • Medical and dental treatment
  • Mental health services
  • Income loss
  • Funeral and burial expenses
  • Loss of support for dependents when a victim is killed or disabled because of a crime
  • Home or vehicle modifications
  • Home security
  • Relocation
  • Crime scene cleanup

CalVCP cannot pay for any expense not related to the crime, any expenses paid by insurance or another source of reimbursement or coverage, expenses for lost, stolen or damaged property, or damages for pain and suffering.

There are limits on how much can be paid for each loss.

The program cannot pay any expense for a person who is on felony probation, on parole, in county jail or prison.

To learn more, see our Covered Expenses page.

How Do I Apply for Compensation?

There are four ways to apply:

When Submitting an Application, Remember:

  • Include copies of crime reports, bills and receipts with the application.
  • Send copies of bills to the insurance company, workers' compensation carrier, or Medi-Cal right away. CalVCP will correspond with such providers as needed to verify benefits and coordinate payment of bills.

To apply, see our How to Apply page.

For Service Providers

If you provide services to crime victims, see our Provider section.

For Victim Advocates

If you are a victim advocate, see our Advocate section.

About Victims' Rights

Crime victims have a right to restitution and many other rights under Marsy's Law.

Read the CalVCP Connection Blog

Graphic featuring faces of medical professionals and crime victims. CalVCP Connection

Why Family Justice Centers? 3/23/15

By Cherri N. Allison, Esq.

Imagine that you are a domestic violence victim and the mother of two small children under the age of ten. Before the Alameda County Family Justice Center opened in 2005 you literally had to navigate dozens of agencies in a county that spans 821 square miles.

Read more »

CalVCP Connection RSS feed »