Help for Crime Victims

The Victim Compensation Program (CalVCP) can help pay unreimbursed expenses that result when a violent crime occurs. Victims of crime who have been injured or have been threatened with injury may be eligible for help from CalVCP. CalVCP may assist with the cost of medical and dental treatment, mental health services, funeral and burial expenses, home security, residential crime scene cleanup and emergency relocation.

If a person is disabled as a result of the crime, CalVCP also assists with wage loss, dependent support loss, job retraining and home or vehicle modifications.

CalVCP can help pay moving expenses – such as first and last month's rent, deposits and temporary lodging – if a victim needs to relocate for their own safety or emotional well-being. Relocation forms are available on our forms page. Local victim advocates can assist with this process. To find out if you qualify for assistance from the CalVCP, please visit our Who's Eligible page.

Emergency Awards

Victims can request an emergency award in certain situations. Emergency awards are made based on substantial hardship and the immediate need for payment. Emergency awards are most often obtained to cover relocation or funeral/burial expenses. You must indicate this on your application in the emergency award section.

Crimes That Occurred Outside of California

Victims who have incurred expenses due to a crime outside of California should file an application with that state. CalVCP may also be able to help with out-of-state crimes if the victim was a California resident at the time of the crime. Other states' compensation programs are considered a reimbursement source and CalVCP will verify that you filed a claim in the state where the crime occurred. For a listing of state compensation programs, visit the National Association of Crime Victim Compensation Boards' website at

Additional State and Local Resources

CalVCP is only one resource for victims of violent crime. California and other states have a variety of resources offered by local agencies and organizations that can provide services and assist victims with the criminal justice system. Additional resources for crime victims can be found on our local help page.

Note: CalVCP cannot help with protective orders. Assistance may be obtained from local victim advocates, domestic violence shelters, or law enforcement agencies.